Monday, December 6, 2010

Chapter 2 Judgemental Pets

Not every chapter here has a song. Mostly because my computer and ipod died within two weeks of another but anyways... Hope you enjoy!

I have a love/ hate relationship with clothes. I love fashion and style but I hate how many thing look on me. My Mom had it easy. She alays been one of those ‘naturally skinny bitches. An American Twiggy they called her when she modeled back in the 70’s and 80’s before I was born. I’m not skinny. A thing she has been reminding me of since I was four years old. My problem with clothes is that just because something goes up to a 14/16 in size doesn’t mean it’s the appropriate proportions. I’m lucky to be tall so at least I’m not plagued by hems that are three inches two long.

I try on four or five outfits before setting on the purple tights, gray dress and black boots combo. Boots always make my legs look good. Getting ready for dates is always painful. Especially for ones I feel have little to no hope of going anywhere. I mean he’s a professional athlete. I’m pretty sure I’m not his type… aside from the boobs. He really seemed to like those.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Traffic is hell. Damn him for picking Nakama on the south side. I finally arrive and spot him in the back corner. He looks good. I’m sure he always does but he is looking great in this navy blue sweater that looks so soft I want to steal it from him and stretch it out. It’s really playing up his eyes too which to my shock are behind glasses.

“Real or fake?” I ask as I take my seat across from him to quick for him to get up and pull it out for me.

“What?” he asked tilting his head like an adorable puppy confused by my question where the context is only in my head.

“Your glasses. Are they real or just to make you look smart?” I shook my head. “Sorry I’m sure you are smart. Glasses have nothing to do with it. I mean I wear glasses and sometimes my intelligence can be equated to a box of rocks.”

“Oh they are real. I dropped my contact and my dog ate it. Well he licks it up so I can only guess he ate it. Either way I am not putting it back in my eyes.” he said with a smile. “I think Stanley would eat anythings I drop. He always assumes it is food.”

I chuckle at his little story about his dog. I didn’t think he would be a dog person. I don’t know why but I didn’t. I guess it had something to do with all the traveling he did.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Do you want to walk a bit?” he asked as we exited the restaurant.
It was early and a clear night. Cold but I like that . The conversation was flowing well too and to be honest I wasn’t ready to leave him.

“Sure.” I say buttoning up my peacoat and pulling on my gloves as he did the same.

Max wrapped my arm around his holding me close as we walked. He was warm against my side a guys always are. With my boots on I’m maybe an inch taller than him but I think that inch is all in my hair rather than real height. “So what are you holiday plans? I don’t know how it works with your schedule.” I asked making conversation.

“Oh we’re playing in Ottawa so I will just stay there on the 23rd to be with my family. They are coming to the game and I will go home with dem. Then the 26th I have to be at practice in Toronto for our game on the 27th.” he explained. “It is a busy schedule but I can not imagine being anywhere but home for Christmas. How about you does your family have a traditions?”

“Well we have the normal Christmas day kind of stuff and my Grandparents host a big party on the weekend after. It’s a big event at their house, really fancy kind of stuff.” I shrugged not really knowing what else to say. Holidays were obligations to me not something worth celebrating. “I’ll check in at the party and then go into work at 11 on New Years Eve. Sarah and I usually do something but you guys took her from me so she’ll be on the road trip with ya’ll.”

“I would say you could have her back but I think all of the team would hurt me especially Tanger. She’s his world right now.” Max said puling me close stopping at the cross street. “That is my house.” he pointed out an odd modern building within the brick homes surrounding it. “Not trying to be fresh do you want to come in? I am cold and I need to let Stanley out.”

“Stanley is your dog?”

“Yes, Stanley the dog. I would never name a kid Stanley and I would never make him use the back yard as a toilet.” he joked.

I elbow him in the ribs playfully. “Yeah sure. My nose is to the point where it’s so cold I can’t tell if it’s running or not.” I chuckle squeezing his arm.
We get to his front door and he stops looking at me straight on. He reached out and brushed his gloved finger under my nose.

“You’re good.” he said all smiles as he unlocked the door leaving me shocked.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His house is obviously a bachelor pad cleaned by someone other than him. I could tell from the mess he made putting on water for hot chocolate that he wasn’t the type to clean his own bathroom. It was a nice place though. His style was modern but without being cold which was actually just like him. He seemed comfortable to me but a guy who loved shiny modern things. His dog was cute and he picked the middle sized beagle up and carried him around even putting him in a ‘special chair’ once he had one his business outside.

He brought the hot chocolate in from his kitchen to where he had pretty much put me on the sofa. Good thing he came because Stanley was staring me down like he was judging me as a potential mate for his owner.

“Your dog is judgy.” I said taking a sip.

“What?” he asked once again confused by my randomness.

“Your dog is looking at me and judging me.”

“Dogs can not judge people Mal. They are dogs.” Max said leaning back arm on the back of the sofa ready to drop down and be around my shoulders like this is 7th grade or something.

“Oh really? You’ve never caught him sitting there looking at you? Like say when your packing your stuff for a road trip?”

“Oh my god my dog judges me!” he said having a sudden revelation.

“Yeah they all do, all pets. Even my fish judge me. Every time I walk past them it’s like they’re saying ‘bitch forgot to feed us again’.” I explain.

“Stanley does that too! Every time I walk past his bowl. You’ve blown my mind here.”

I chuckle and nudge him. “Oh just wait Max. If you think this is profound you should see me drunk sometime. I’m fuckin’ hilarious with some of the shit I come up with.” I kind of cringe and I know he can feel it.

“You ok?” he asked getting this really cute concerned face.

“Yeah I’m fine. I’m trying not to swear as much. I don’t at work in front of the kids but it’s like that filter goes off as soon as I leave a patients room.”

“Oh I say fuck all the time. I do not mind if you say fuck.”

I was a little shocked there was no eyebrow wiggle. People always made him out to be this kind of perv but this far he has been a gentleman.

“You know you can kiss me Max.” I say kind of relaxing back into the sofa half facing him.

“I know and I will. Before you go home. If I kiss you now I will ask you to stay and you will be like everyone else and I don’t want you to be like other girls. Other girls don’t think pets are judgey.”

“So there are other girls?” I asked playfully.

“Well yeah. I mean there are other guys right?”

Ok he had a point there. I have had a thing for the rad tech department over the last year. “Well yeah.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We talked until two am both of us having lost track of time. It was all random stuff like my lamenting the horrors of fat camp and him talking about hockey camp and it’s dangers. We talked about our mutual fear of snakes yet love of cute tree frogs. It was a text from Sarah that forced me to check the time. She wanted a date report and was slightly concerned I hadn’t given her one yet. I texted her back that I would call in the morning because I was driving.

He helped me on with my coat and even buttoned it up for me. It was then he kissed me. Not the kind of kiss I thought I would get from Max Talbot but a gentle kiss that was begging me to come back for more.

“If you do up your scarf like this…” he wrapped it around my face up to my eyes. “Your nose won’t get as cold and you won’t have to worry about it running.” he said stepping back to admire his handy work.

“I look stupid.” I say muffled by the scarf.

“I’m sorry I can not hear you due to the warmth you are experiencing.” he joked.

I patted him on the head with my mitten covered hand before hugging him good bye.

“Text me when you get home?”

I nod yes. “I will.”

He opened the door for me and I was off into the cold to my car. I didn’t really notice it though since my insides were swimming with warmth. I just had a date with Max Talbot and it went well. Really well.

3 comments:

  1. I really like this story, I love how your portraying your characters. It's nice to see that someone can write about Max so innocently, and not concentrate on his Man whoring ways. I was so happy to see this update and i hope you give another one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Max... I <3 him so!

    “I look stupid.” I say muffled by the scarf.
    “I’m sorry I can not hear you due to the warmth you are experiencing.” he joked.
    I patted him on the head with my mitten covered hand before hugging him good bye.

    That had me smiling SO MUCH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got some pretty good lines in this story. My favourite from this chapter was this bit.

    “Yeah they all do, all pets. Even my fish judge me. Every time I walk past them it’s like they’re saying ‘bitch forgot to feed us again’.” I explain.

    “Stanley does that too! Every time I walk past his bowl. You’ve blown my mind here.”

    ReplyDelete