Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Chapter 1: Keep Yourself Warm - Frightened Rabbit

It’s 8am and I see her collect her dress from the floor pulling it over her head though my lashes. I’m pretending to be asleep. I don’t want to chat with her about her number or how great last night was. She was average and so was I. My head wasn’t into being with her and my heart… well it hasn’t been into anyone in this city in a long time.

She’s texting a friend no doubt arranging a ride. She sits down on the edge of the bed searching for her shoes. She looked cuter in the dark of the club last night. Everyone looks better like that. Even me. In the club I’m all French accent and white teeth, a loud mouth who likes to have fun.

Her friend must not live far because I hear a beep out front. She checks the window and scribbles a note on a receipt she pulled from her hand bag. A number no doubt. I won’t be calling. I never call them. I wait till I hear the front door close and the car pull away before I get up. I’m stiff and tired. Sure sleeping with that chick didn’t help either of us. I’m hurt and she’s out looking for a fuck the day before American Thanksgiving. Talk about people with issues.

I get up and start to get ready. Sarah was hosting an American Thanksgiving at her house. She invited me and most of the team along with her friends and family. I didn’t understand how we would all fit in her home. My images of Thanksgiving were always a house full of people and I knew her apartment was quite small. It didn’t matter though I needed to shower. That would make me feel better.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I arrived at Sarah’s at 3pm just when she asked me. I had texted Kris asking if they needed me to bring anything. Kris said drugs because she was going crazy but I couldn’t get those so I asked if chocolate would do. He was amused and texted back that it might just work. We all knew chocolate made girls far less crazy… or more crazy… it depended on what you were going for. In this case it would make her less crazy.

It didn’t take me long to make the stuff. My Mom had taught me when I was younger and since then I’ve used it to impress girls quite frequently. Like I said sometime chocolate can make girls crazy… in a good way. I pack up the fondue pot taping the lid down and put it on the floor of my car as I head out. I know someone is going to make fun of my loud sweater but I don’t care. I like bright things. If I wear something bright people automatically think I’m friendly which isn’t an untruth. I am friendly and I love to laugh but it is hard for me to let people truly get to know me. They all see Superstar and that’s not who I am. I’m Max.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sarah’s food is good. She managed not to make dry turkey which is hard to do apparently. I wouldn’t know my Mom is the best cook in the world. I met her Dad no, her Grandfather. He was the one who raised her and you can tell. He spent the whole dinner looking so proud. I’m sure she thought he was excited to meet all of us but really he was just proud and happy for her. Kris had told me a few things about Sarah’s life but he had only said that it was hard.

Sarah’s friend Mal turned up half way though dinner. Sarah was happy to see her and ‘even things up a bit’. Apparently this friend Mal was equal to six girls because that was what it would take to even the numbers. This is scary and intriguing to me. She’s an attractive girl. Dark wavy hair down past her shoulders. She has some nice curves going on. She came in wearing a rather fancy looking black dress and heels but went straight up to Sarah’s bedroom to change. She returned in jeans and a bright pink sweater. Sarah took her around introducing her to everyone. They have their arms around one another and that does dirty things in my mind. Kris catches my eye though sending me a look that says ‘mine’ in regards to Sarah.

Sarah brings Mal over to me introducing her.

“Mal this is Max, he’s cool.” Sarah says with a smile.

“Nice to meet you.” Mal said offering me her hand. I take it thinking of kissing it but I know everyone in the room would bust my balls if I did.

“Good to meet you too. You’re friends with Sarah yeah?” I ask trying to start a conversation.

“Yep. We went though nursing school together and worked together before you guys stole her away from me.” Mal said giving Sarah a squeeze.

It was then Sarah abandoned us hearing a crash in the kitchen and her Grandfather calling for help. Not a hurt kind of help but a he didn’t know where anything was kind of help.

“Do you want to eat?” I ask getting up to show her to the table.

“No. I had to eat with my family earlier. I’ll have some desert in a bit though. I saw some fondue and wow… looks crazy good.” she explained flopping down on the somewhat lumpy sofa.

I sit down next to her turning towards her to talk. “I love fondue too. I think it is just in me though.” I say playing up my accent a bit. She’s hot in the sweater how it stretches over her chest and the dainty silver necklace with a dove charm on it rests in just the right place.

“Eyes up here buddy.” she said calling me out on ogling her cleavage.
I hear Geno laughing near by and I do my best not to go red only my ears blushing.

She doesn’t dwell on it though as she starts talking about fondue and Paris. I listen and am shocked when she talks about beef fondue. It’s not something Americans usually talk about eating. I decide to test the waters. “Comment est votre français?” I ask.

“Je ne suis pas un expert mais je fais bien. J'ai passé quelque temps en France comme un enfant.” Mal’s family moved around a fair bit though Pittsburgh was always home for business no matter where her Mother’s hobby took them.

“I go back frequently as well. It’s my favorite place to go on vacation.” Mal said reverting to her native English.

I continue to test her French. “Avez-vous été à Montréal?”
“Yes, I like spending time in Old Town. It reminds me of Paris without having to go all the way there.” she explained.

“Europa pois dans la Vieille Ville est magnifique. Le fait d'avoir tartare agréable.” she wrinkled her nose at that though.

“If I’m going to eat something raw it’s going to be Sushi.” she confessed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m actually kind of shocked at how nice of a night it was. I had gone expecting free food and spending time with the boys… and Sarah. I ended up getting a phone number out of it. One I actually wanted to call not just text.

That’s exactly what I did when I got settled in at home. I put on pajamas took Stanley out back and then wated tv in bed. I kept looking at my phone though and I knew I couldn’t resist.

‘Want to get sushi for lunch on Saturday? I would go tomorrow but I have to work.’ I always call games and practices work when I talk to people outside of the team. It makes me sound like it’s a real job. It is a real job but not like anything people who aren’t in it don’t understand.

I watched tv while I waited for a return text. I don’t know why she was taking so long. Most girls jump on an invitation to a date. I watched some old Friends reruns about Thanksgiving. I’m not into it though. I only like the season of friends when Joey and Chandler had the chick and the duck. Now that was some funny stuff. Finally I hear my phone vibrate on the night stand making Stanley growl at it. I pet his head and check the message.

‘Sure but can it be dinner? I have to work the night before and trust me it’s in everyone’s best interest if I am well rested. I tend to be a raving bitch when tired. You have been warned.’

I chuckle at that. She was honest which was a revelation. I text her back.
‘Yeah dinner at 8. I’m a bastard when tired too. Apparently I’m known to check people out of my way if they get between me and a bed when I’m tired.’

She answers much faster this time. I guess her phone had been in the other room or the bottom of her handbag or something.

‘Sounds good. Yeah, I’ve thrown a few hip checks for no reason. Ask Sarah she’s been the recipient of a few. Mostly because I like to mess with her. She’s to sweet to do anything back. I don’t do it to be mean because I’m sure she could kick my ass in a real fight. I like to be goofy.’

I chuckle at this. I could see her putting her rounder hip into Sarah going down a hospital corridor. Then my mind strays and I find them fighting in mud. I push that out of mind though because in my imagination Tanger is standing by the mud pool shaking his head no with his arms crossed.

‘Same with me and Kris. I like to mess with him but I’m pretty sure he could kill me if he were to work up a good rage.’. It was true. When Tanger got mad watch yourself because even though he was small he was strong and derived some kind of secret strength from his hair or something.

‘So no fighting our friends. Got it. I have to go though. I work in the morning and I need to sleep because there will be all kinds of drama at work tomorrow. They day after a holiday is always weird.’ I nod like we’re talking but start to text back.

‘Have a good night. I let you know the exact reservation for our dinner sometime tomorrow.’

She doesn’t respond again. I can imagine her getting ready for bed. She has on pink pajamas and a tank top., no make-up her hair pulled up off her face. It’s not my usual fantasy but it’s something fun to think about as I settle in for bed myself.

3 comments:

  1. Loved it... Curious to see where this story goes.Can't wait till the next update..

    Ps:I love the pic of Max.. Is he sexyy or what? hehe... :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love Maximus*
    Cannot WAIT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is so funny, I love his inter monologue. When Tanger got mad watch yourself because even though he was small he was strong and derived some kind of secret strength from his hair or something. Funniest line ever!

    ReplyDelete